The Career Crossroads Program (Click Here for Video)
Career Crossroads is a shared time vocational program, offering students the opportunity to explore and prepare for careers in Sales and Customer Service, or Hospitality and Food Service. Students engage in classroom, project-based and community-based learning experiences. A focus of Career Crossroads is preparing students to acquire independence and the “soft skills” required for workplace success: communication, enthusiasm and attitude, teamwork, networking, problem-solving, critical thinking, and professionalism. Students in the morning program are ages 18-21. Students attending the afternoon program are in grades 11 and 12 and attend their local high school in the morning.
Hospitality & Food Service
The course of study includes:
- Developing specific skills related to food service and preparation including
planning, costing, preparation, serving, storage, and quality control.
- Understanding, demonstrating, and applying principles of food safety and sanitation.
- Developing an understanding of the industry and workplace.
- Developing knife skills.
A unique partnership with Chartwells, our on-campus dining
service provider, provides students the opportunity to participate in
individualized internships. Our Chartwells/Career Crossroads team
received the “Compass in the Community” award for program excellence.
Students also manage the day to day operations of the Café @540 Kiosk
and the Crossroads Café.
Sales & Customer Service
The course of Study includes:
- Understanding customer service and sales techniques.
- Using listening and questions to deliver excellent customer service.
- Maintaining a positive attitude with customers.
- Developing the ability to merchandise, sell, and promote products.
- Demonstrating cash-handling skills.
A unique component of the program, Crossroads Corner Gift
Shop, allows students to work in a dynamic retail setting, and
provide opportunities for hands-on experience in marketing,
merchandising, inventory, and customer service. Students also
manage Career Express a door to door Dry Cleaning pick-up
and delivery service.