BCA - Bergen County Academies, Hackensack Programs
Attention Applicants: Update June 13, 2022
The Class of 2026 has been selected. Information about the application and the admissions process will be updated and posted on the admissions website in September at www.bergen.org. For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a safe and healthy summer!
Bergen County Academies (BCA) include seven magnet high school programs, each featuring a different career focus. Each academy program prepares students to meet the rigor of college and the corporate world through a special blend of professional, technical and academic courses.
Graduates attend a wide range of prestigious universities and colleges throughout the nation. Since each academy program has a different focus, prospective students should have an interest in its respective field.
BCA - A Unique High School Program
Many aspects of the Bergen County Academies distinguish the school from its counterpart, the comprehensive high school. Some of those distinctions are listed below.
- Extended school day, 8 a.m. - 4:10 p.m.
- Infusion of state-of-the art technology in all areas of study
- Exceptional and highly-credentialed faculty in all program areas
- Parent Partnership Organization (PPO) as an integral part of school operations
- University model program, which places students in small schools (academies) within a larger school, but gives all students the choices and resources of a large school
- Course work linked to specific academies and simultaneous study of a rigorous academic curriculum in mathematics, humanities, world languages and the arts
- Wide range of electives, clubs and sports activities
- Interdisciplinary studies and projects
- Numerous academic and skills competitions for which students are well prepared
- Connection to the world of work through an internship for academic credit during the senior year
- Students receive a fine academic education, which prepares them well for university study in any field, whether or not they choose to continue in an area related to their academy.
AP and IB Courses at BCA
An important feature of the academic program at BCA is the abundance of Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) courses, for which students frequently earn college credit. The school encourages students to take AP and/or IB courses; most students perform at or above the level typically required for the award of college credit.
AP courses are based on the curricula developed by the Educational Testing Service (ETS), the same organization that provides the AP tests. BCA currrently offers the following AP courses: Biology, Chemistry, Physics (B and C), Calculus (AB and BC), Economics (Micro and Macro), Music Theory, Psychology, Statistics, Studio Art, Computer Science.
IB courses are based upon the standards and curriculum set forth by the International Baccalaureate Organisation based in Geneva, Switzerland. Students in the Academy for Business and Finance take the full IB diploma program. The higher level IB courses, however, are available to all students, based upon potential constraints of space and scheduling. College credit is awarded for IB courses in much the same way as credit is awarded for AP courses. BCA offers the following higher level IB courses : IB Literature, IB Social Studies, IB Spanish, IB French, IB Mathematics.
BCA - Always a Work in Progress
Over the years, the only constant has been change. Excellence is a process, not a product.
We live by this statement and expect all of our students to do the same. For more information, please visit the Bergen County Academies website.